1. some useful expressions:
waste water; Greener China; Good idea; be afraid; a member of; a book on the environment
2. some useful sentences:
How long have you been a member of Greener China?
I've been with Greener China for a year.
How many English words have you learned since you came here?
About one thousand.
Properties: Pictures：TV; Overhead Projector; Recorder
I. Showing amis
Get the students to know what they will learn in this lesson and what they will do in this class:
1. To master some useful expressions.
2. To learn the grammar: the Present Perfect Tense.
3. To make the similar dialogues freely.
4. To know that they should protect the environment and make our world more beautiful.
II . Revision
Revise the grammar; the Present Perfect Tense. Ask: Have you ever been to the Great Wall? How many times have you been there? Get the students to ask and answer in pairs. Then ask several pairs to act out their dialogues.
Present this dialogue:
A: Where have you been?
B: I've been to a paper factory.
A: What did you do there?
B: I saw the worker making paper there.
Present this dialogue with one student as an example, then ask the students to practise this dialogue in pairs, and get some of them to act out the dialogue.
Put up a picture of a paper factory on the blackboard, get the students to talk about the factory, for example; " This is a paper factory, it makes paper, but it also makes smoke and waste water. I found the smoke was put into the air and the waste water was put into the river near it. The river has become very dirty. Lots of fish have died." Have the students talk in groups of four and then ask some of them to read out their report to share with the whole class.
V. Read and say
Part 1. Speech Cassette. Play the tape twice for the students to listen and repeat. Ask the students to read the dialogue in groups of three. Then read for the class. Get the students to read the dialogue individually again and find the answer to the following questions:
1. Where has Hu Lan just been to?
2. Why has the river near the factory become dirty?
3. What has happened to the fish in the river?
4. What does Greener China want to do?
5. Why are they going to write to the TV station and the newspaper?
6. Do you take care of the environment? Why or why not?
7. What can you do to improve the environment?
VI. Ask and answer
Read through the dialogues with the students. Ask and answer in pairs. Then make similar dialogues in pairs using the phrases in the box of the book.
Get the students to act as journalists, make an interview. Interview one of their friends. Ask him or her some questions about him or her and his or her family members.
For example: How long have you been in this school?
What subject have you studied?
How many friends have you made?
What's your fathers job?
How long has he been a … ?
What has he done since … ?
Then get the students write a report, have some students read their reports to share with the whole class.
Do Exercise 3 orally with the class. Have the students ask and answer in pairs. Write Exercise 2 in the exercise books.
Exercises for class
Rewrite the following sentences using the Present Perfect Tense:
Model: He went to Nanjing two days ago.
He has been in Nanjing for two days.
1. They began to study English in 2000.
2. He became a teacher ten years ago.
3. Jim came to China one year ago.
4. He joined Greener China one year ago.
5. My sister bought this book last week.
Talk something about the environment.